Gender Violence (RCT)
Project Name: RCT of the Bandebereho/MenCare+ Father’s Program
Client: Promundo International / Rwamrec (Rwanda Men’s Resource Center)
Laterite Service: Data
Sample: 1200 Quantitative Interviews: 4 districts
Project Description: Laterite conducted the data collection for the “Bandebereho Father Groups: a randomized control trial to assess the impact of maternal, newborn and child health group education for new and expecting fathers.” The study aimed to assess the impact of father groups being implemented in four districts as part of the MenCare+/Bandebereho project, incollaboration with the Ministry of Health.
- Developing the methodology: Laterite reviewed the research methodology and updated the quantitative survey instruments to ensure that they were relevant for the baseline study.
- Ethics and local authorities’ approvals: The necessary ethics approvals from the Ministry of Health and local authorities were obtained during the baseline stage of this study.
- Translation, piloting and revision of the questionnaires: Laterite revised the quantitative questionnaire to incorporate questions about the household assets. Laterite was responsible for translating the revisions to quantitative questionnaire from to English to Kinyarwanda.
- Programming of the questionnaires: Laterite was responsible for programming the quantitative questionnaire in Survey CTO to allow for electronic data collection.
- Recruiting and training data collection team: Laterite was responsible for recruiting and training the field coordinator and enumerators to conduct the survey.
- Field Schedule: Laterite was responsible for developing a field schedule for the quantitative survey. Regarding this component, Laterite developed a 19-day schedule for a team of 24 enumerators and a field supervisor. This schedule was subsequently extended for a 20-day period in order to decrease the rate of attrition.
- Field Preparation: Laterite assisted in field preparation by making phone calls to every eligible participant in order to arrange interview appointments.
- Randomization: Laterite was also responsible to allocate participants into treatment and control groups through a randomization process.
- Conducting the survey: Laterite surveyed 1195 participants from 16 sectors/4 districts across the country: all of the participants were identified from four intervention sectors in each district.
Impact: The study will assess the impact of the MenCare+/Bandebereho fathers’ group education intervention on men’s attitudes towards, and participation in, sexual and reproductive health, maternal, newborn and child health, and equitable and non-violent relationships with their children and partners.